April 09, 2016

Teaching Students with Disabilities


            I was greatly inspired by watching this video about how assistive technology has enabled students with disabilities to achieve their dreams. As a former public school student, I have never really seen that kind of support demonstrated in this video for students with disabilities. The only kind of support I have seen students with disabilities in Guam’s public school system is having a one-to-one aide. This video has left a strong impression on me as a future educator because I know one day I will be teaching a student who has a disability and I need to make sure that I am fully capable of assisting my student to the best of my ability in order for him or her to move up the ladder of success in his or her education. As a teacher, I need to first be aware of my student’s disability. Secondly, I need to be organized and flexible when carrying out my lesson plan to accommodate my student with a disability. I also need to ensure that I follow the recommendations outlined in the student’s individualized educational plan (IEP) according to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

            Teaching students with disabilities can be challenging. It is imperative for teachers to learn and study what type of disability their student has. Being knowledgeable about a student’s disability can go a long way for a teacher. By being aware of a student’s disability, teachers can help and understand the needs of the student. This should be a priority for all teachers who have special needs students in his or her classroom. Additionally, being able to understand the students’ needs enables teachers to address the necessary steps and actions to take in the role of the development of the student, as well as his or her educational achievement. According to the senior director of learning resources and research at the National Center for disabilities, Sheldon H. Horowitz (2014), through proper guidance, teaching and support, there are no boundaries or limitations to the success of individuals with learning disabilities.

            Organization and the ability to adapt to situations are two characteristics teachers should possess when teaching students with disabilities. The organization of a classroom says a lot about a teacher. The way a classroom is set up and organized stimulates what kind of learning occurs amongst students. Accountability is an important aspect when dealing with a student who has a disability. Teachers need to stay on top of all their forms and documents, such as their students’ emergency information, records and evaluations. Also, teachers need to be able to adapt to changes that take place in the classroom, especially when one has a student with special needs. Flexibility is key in any classroom environment because it allows not only the teacher, but the students as well, to get accustomed to different situations.

            In accordance to the Individuals with Disabilities Act (2004), students with disabilities must have an Individualized Education Program (IEP). An IEP is a documentation of the student’s needs, the services the school will provide for the student, and how progress will be measured through the student’s performance in school. A lot of planning and involvement goes into creating an IEP for a specific student. As a teacher, I will ensure that I following what is requested of me in regards to my student’s IEP. I believe having an IEP for students with disabilities is a great way to accommodate and monitor student progress and achievement.

            Watching this video made me appreciate my future career even more. This video demonstrates one of the reasons why I wanted to become a teacher in the first place and that is to make a difference in the lives of others through education. This video also gave me ideas on how to properly approach the needs of students with disabilities. I learned that there are so many ways in which a person, not just a teacher, can help individuals with special needs. Assistive technology is an example of a way others can help individuals with disabilities. When I become a teacher, I know I will be teaching students with different learning styles and I want to make sure I am prepared. With students with disabilities, I need to make sure I am aware of that student’s disability to gain an understanding of how I can approach that student according to his or her needs. I need to also be organized and flexible because the world is unpredictable. There are many instances where a situation will not go as planned and I would have to make necessary adjustments to accommodate my students. Lastly, I want to make sure that I am following what is being requested of me, as the teacher, by the school and the student’s parents in his or her Individual Education Program, so that I can effectively carry out my lesson plan in relation to the accommodations and modifications listed in my student’s IEP. Being a teacher is such a fulfilling job!

1 comment:

  1. Hi:
    Good writing marred by a lack of 'end of the essay' references
    -j-

    ReplyDelete